Welcome To My Culinary & Holistic Lifestyle Blog!
In Pursuit of Optimal Digestive Health
Golden Beet & Berry Salad
This fresh, colourful and GORGEOUS Golden Beet & Berry Salad w/ Lemon Dijon Vinaigrette is my favourite salad creation to date!
It's a hot ticket item at any homemade dinner or potluck occasion...particularly come spring or summer when berries are in full force!
Be sure to take a look at some of the benefits of some of the key ingredients below, as this salad creation is highly liver-supportive for the body...naturally cleansing and detoxifying based on the strategic ingredients I've chosen to combine.
I hope you find an opportunity to give it a try, as I know you'll LOVE it.
And, if you've never tasted golden beets before, then you're in for a REAL TREAT.
*They don't stain like red beets do - WIN!
The Stars of the Show:
- Contain a group of phytonutrients (plant-based nutrients) called Betalains, which provide a rich source of antioxidant compounds[i]
- Studies have shown these betalains to protect cells from injury due to oxidative stress[ii]
- Are anti-inflammatory and rich in antioxidant nutrients; antioxidant nutrients help combat free radicals in the body
- Free radicals are atoms in the body (with unpaired electrons) that are generated when oxygen interacts with particular molecules; this occurs during various types of interactions and processes we experience on a daily basis (e.g. exercise, breathing, metabolism), as well as exposure to such toxins as environmental pollution, smoking, etc.
- Free radicals circulate through the body, attempting to steal electrons from stable molecules and damage cells and tissues in the process, until such time they are countered by antioxidant nutrients (e.g. vitamins A, C, E, selenium and zinc)
- While acidic in nature, the metabolism/breakdown of lemon in the body leaves an alkaline residue
- Therefore, lemon is extremely valuable for helping to alkalize the internal environment; inflammation loves to thrive in an acidic environment!
- Lemon also supports the stimulation of our digestive juices and metabolism, immune function and detoxification by our liver as a highly cleansing, whole food ingredient
Access the recipe HERE.
If you make it, be sure to tag me on Facebook or Instagram with your creation, letting me know what you most enjoy about it, and so I can drool over what you've created in your own kitchen!
[i] Clifford T, Howatson G, West DJ, Stevenson EJ. The potential benefits of red beetroot supplementation in health and disease. Nutrients. 2015 Apr 14;7(4):2801-22. doi: 10.3390/nu7042801. PMID: 25875121; PMCID: PMC4425174.
[ii] Clifford T, Howatson G, West DJ, Stevenson EJ. The potential benefits of red beetroot supplementation in health and disease. Nutrients. 2015 Apr 14;7(4):2801-22. doi: 10.3390/nu7042801. PMID: 25875121; PMCID: PMC4425174.